Your Pets Count

pet information that caters to your special friend

Archives

Calendar

January 2022
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  

Raisins, and Grapes can be toxic to dogs

Sunday, April 14, 2013
posted by Jim Murphy

Raisins and Grapes can be toxic to dogs but the reasons are not clear as to why. Scientists do not understand as to why this toxicity exists. Some dogs show no signs of illness after ingesting many raisins or grapes while others become very sick after eating just one.  The symptoms are vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, anorexia and acute renal fatal. Renal failure can be fatal.  If you suspect that your dog has ingested raisins or grapes, get him to a vet right away even if it’s just to be on the safe side.  It is not known which dogs will become sick, it’s best to start treatment as soon as possible  to err on the side of caution. Digestion of grapes and raisins is slow so try to induce vomiting up to several hours to get out as many of the grapes or raisins from their system. This can reduce the risk of toxicity but the dog must still be taken to the vet right away. There is no known antidote for grape and raisin toxicity so a quick response could save your dog’s life.

Remember, your pets count!

THE EDGEWATER RADIO NETWORK for six great radio stations!



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.