Your Pets Count

pet information that caters to your special friend

You are currently browsing the The Pet Product Guru blog archives for the day Sunday, December 17th, 2023.



December 2023

Archive for December 17th, 2023

Snow Globes Can Be Dangerous to Dogs and Cats

Sunday, December 17, 2023
posted by Jim Murphy

There was a post on Facebook recently that claimed that a dog broke a snow globe and lapped up the liquid. The dog later died and it was determined that the snow globe contained Anti freeze. This is disturbing. Dogs and cats are attracted to the sweet smell of the liquid. Many of us have decorating snow globes in our homes but should be we concerned? has published an article explaining this situation. Here’s a portion of that article.

Veterinary Sources

We found a seemingly endless number of authoritative veterinary sources that expressed the same warnings about snow globes containing the antifreeze ingredient ethylene glycol and how ingesting it could be fatal to dogs, cats and other pets.

For just one example, in 2007, Dr. Marc Smith of Natchez Trace Veterinary Services advised in The Tennessean newspaper that the liquid inside some snow globes contains 2 percent ethylene glycol. Smith also provided facts not just about the chemical in snow globes, but also the dangers of antifreeze:

Another source of ethylene glycol is decorative snow globes. The liquid inside contains 2 percent ethylene glycol. Shattered globes can be toxic to small dogs and cats. If veterinary treatment is not begun within a few hours of ingestion, one teaspoon of ethylene glycol can be fatal to a 10-pound cat, while one to two tablespoonfuls can kill a 10-pound dog.

Antifreeze poisoning occurs in stages. In the first stage the animal appears intoxicated, stumbling, depressed and/or vomiting. The first stage can last from 30 minutes to a few hours. The second stage is characterized by intermittent seizures, increased urinations and excessive thirst.

Finally, the kidneys will begin to shut down and 36-72 hours after ingestion the animal may slip into a coma. The longer treatment is delayed the more damage to the kidneys, thus the greater chance of the intoxication proving fatal.

If you suspect antifreeze poisoning, contact a vet immediately. This is not a “wait-and-see” situation.

More examples that expressed this very same guidance and sequence of symptoms can be found in newspaper archives from past decades on

You can read the entire article here.


Remember, pets are family!

Enjoy the greatest oldies of all time on Edgewater Gold Radio. We are your holiday station. Simply ask Alexa to “play Edgewater Gold Radio” or listen from our website, Edgewater Gold

add comment    Comments Off on Snow Globes Can Be Dangerous to Dogs and Cats