Your Pets Count

pet information that caters to your special friend

You are currently browsing the The Pet Product Guru blog archives for the day Tuesday, June 25th, 2013.



June 2013

Archive for June 25th, 2013

Some plants that are toxic to your cat

Tuesday, June 25, 2013
posted by Jim Murphy

CAT FLOWERCertain plants are toxic to cats.  You should be not only be concerned if your cat is an outdoor cat but should also keep in mind that indoor cats can nibble on fresh cut flowers. Here is a list of plants that are toxic to cats some more than others.

  • Autumn Crocus – watch for these symptoms 
    • Drooling
    • Vomiting
    • Diarrhea
    • Inappetance
    • Bloody diarrhea
    • Black-tarry stool
    • Organ damage
    • Respiratory failure
    • Seizures
    • Death
  • Azalea – Azaleas can have serious effects on pets. Eating even a few leaves can result in vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling; without immediate veterinary attention, the pet could fall into a coma and possibly die.
  • Cyclamen– The roots of this seasonal flowering plant are especially dangerous to pets. If ingested, cyclamen can cause severe vomiting and even death.
  • Kalanchoe– This popular flowering succulent plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea and heart arrhythmias if ingested by pets.
  • Lilies – he more dangerous, potentially fatal lilies are true lilies, and these include Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese Show lilies – all of which are highly toxic to cats! Even small ingestions (such as 2-3 petals or leaves) can result in severe kidney failure.
  • Oleander – If ingested, the leaves can slow the heart rate, cause severe vomiting and possible death.
  • Dieffencachia – Popular in many homes and offices, dieffenbachia can cause intense oral irritation, drooling, nausea, vomiting and difficulty swallowing if ingested.

  • Daffodils– Ingestion can cause  severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and even possible cardiac arrhythmias or respiratory depression.
  • Lily of the Valley – These symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, a drop in heart rate, severe cardiac arrhythmias, and possibly seizures. Pets with any known exposure to this plant should be examined and evaluated by a veterinarian and treated symptomatically.
  • Sago Palm – . If ingested, the leaves and seeds can cause vomiting, bloody stools, damage to the stomach lining, severe liver failure and, in some cases, death.
  • Tulips and Hyacinths – The toxic principle of these plants is very concentrated in the bulbs (versus the leaf or flower), so make sure your dog isn’t digging up the bulbs in the garden. When the plant parts or bulbs are chewed or ingested, it can result in tissue irritation to the mouth and esophagus. Typical signs include profuse drooling, vomiting, or even diarrhea, depending on the amount consumed.

Information obtained from the Poison Pet Helpline website.

Remember, your pets count!


Keep the music flowing this summer with THE EDGEWATER INTERNET RADIO NETWORK!