Your Pets Count

pet information that caters to your special friend

Calendar

May 2019
M T W T F S S
« Apr    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

What to do if your pet ingests poison – Do not administer pet medication on your own!

Friday, July 31, 2009
posted by Jim Murphy

friendscat-dog1What can you do to be prepared in the event that your dog or cat eats something poisonous?  If you fear that your pet has ingested something that is poisonous, call your veternarian or poison control center immediately. It’s a good idea to keep hydrogen peroxide in the house in case your vet advises you to induce vomiting. Don’t administer this or any other pet medication on your own. Wait until you vet tells you how to procede or call the National Animal Poison Center at 1-888-426-4435. They charge $50.00 per case. The Center will do as many follow up calls that are necessary in critical cases. They will also contact your veternarian at your request. The center will also provide any treatment protocols via fax when needed. Don’t wait! If you suspect that your pet may have ingested something that is poisonous, you  have no time to lose!



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.