Your Pets Count

pet information that caters to your special friend

Calendar

October 2017
M T W T F S S
« Sep    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  

Pets and Poison

Friday, July 30, 2010
posted by Jim Murphy

pets-and-poisionWhen your pet swallows poison, you have to decide whether to treat him at home or make a fast trip to the veterinarian.  You shouldn’t make this decision on your own.  If you pet ingests something dangerous, the first thing that you should do is call your vet or the Animal Poison Control center. Tell them what your pet has swallowed, how much and when it happened. They’ll also need to know you pets age, sex and approximate weight. Then follow their instructions to the letter.  There’s a chance that they will ask you to induce vomiting in your pet at home using hydrogen peroxide. They might also tell you to go to the veterinarian immediately.  If so, hurry, but don’t panic. Take a moment to collect a sample of whatever your pet ate.  It may be helpful to the vet.  Do not try to administer any pet medication by yourself. You may cause more harm than good.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.